- Are you passionate about Travel, Technology, and solving tough problems for the Customer? Would you like to take part in building one of the most critical systems that powers all our brand experiences? Are you an engineer looking to showcase your ability to build highly scalable, performant and resilient tier 1 system with the latest technologies available? If so, the Search team might be the right team for you. We are modernizing Expedia group search stack by building our next generation platform with industry leading capabilities that powers our brands. The Search system is central to how the travel market operates, and this team is responsible for the end-to-end outcomes as it relates to our partners and travelers. As a Software Development Engineer II, you will be looking at the big picture and taking end-to-end ownership to ensure we are providing the best solutions and outcomes for our customers. You will be building sort and ranking capabilities in our new search platform and ensuring we constantly strive to improve. This team works in an agile environment that is focused on outcomes and delivering value as we build new capabilities and quickly integrate them into our production systems.
What You'll do:
- Develop scalable, highly available, performant and resilient Tier-1 services with high throughput in the tens of thousands of requests per second with low latency.
- You will be developing core capabilities that enable features and APIs that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops.
- You will own the continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) while utilizing Agile methodologies.
- Scale services to more than 60k transactions per second
- Develop new capabilities to our learning systems that will enable new features and improve experiences
- Develop a smart service layer creating in-session personalization based off user behavior and data
- Work with brand stakeholders on a scalable integration patterns to access these core systems.
- As part of our continuous learning culture, you will have the opportunity to participate in exciting global company hackathons and various career building courses with co-workers of all levels of expertise.
Who you are:
- 2-4+ years previous experience building highly available, scalable fault tolerant distributed systems
- solid foundation and expertise in any one of the objected oriented programming language would be required.
- As a SDE II you should be able to break down sophisticated problems and drive towards solutions owning end to end outcome
- Possess high learning agility and curious to learn and recommend new technologies for business problems
- Exposure in web services development, web and/or application containers, microservices, and distributed architecture
- 2+ years working in agile environment
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to work well with in and across the teams
- Experience designing real-time low latency solutions with Elasticsearch or equivalent search technologies
- Experience operationalizing machine learning models in with high throughput and low latency.
Technologies We Use:
- Java, Kotlin, Sprint Boot, Kafka, Kubernetes, gRPC, protocol-buffers, elastic search index and latest opensource technologies
Why Join Us:
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®
Read Full Job Description