Sr. Linux Systems Admin - Federal at ServiceNow
ServiceNow is making the world of work, work better for people. Our cloud-based platform and solutions deliver digital workflows that create great experiences and unlock productivity for employees and the enterprise. We're growing fast, innovating faster, and making an impact on our customers' and employees' lives in significant and important ways. With over 6,900 customers, we serve approximately 80% of the Fortune 500, and we're on the 2020 list of FORTUNE World's Most Admired Companies.®
We're looking for people who are ready to jump right in and help us build on our incredible momentum, our diverse, engaged workforce, and our purpose to make the world of work, work better.
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.
Please Note: This position will include supporting our US Federal customers.
"This position requires passing a ServiceNow background screening, USFedPASS (US Federal Personnel Authorization Screening Standards). This includes a credit check, criminal/misdemeanor check and taking a drug test. Any employment is contingent upon passing the screening. Due to Federal requirements, only US citizens, US naturalized citizens or US Permanent Residents, holding a green card, will be considered.
As a key member of the Systems Administration team within Operations Engineering, you will be responsible for the administration and operations of the global cloud infrastructure that runs our SaaS product. This is an opportunity to be at the core of running a Cloud SaaS platform that scales to millions of users! The Cloud Operations team is responsible for ensuring the availability and efficiency of the server infrastructure that runs our SaaS platform while consuming and deploying products that have been newly developed by engineering teams. You will be working closely with engineers and developers across the company.
What you get to do in this role:
- Contribute to Configuration Management and Infrastructure as Code for ServiceNow's global private cloud.
- Drive enhancements and bugfixes for large scale automation projects such as patching, provisioning, and kickstart domains.
- Design and implement procedure to accomplish maintenances where automation and tooling cannot; drive resolution of root causes with internal team members.
- Prepare new ServiceNow products and services for production readiness with design review, feedback to engineering teams, training, and testing.
- Use broad knowledge and experience of systems administration and networking principles to proactively prevent and address incidents while constantly improving documentation.
- Participate in escalations and Root Cause Analysis of issues in both US Federal and global Commercial infrastructures.
- Troubleshoot database backup and restore failures as well as perform database migrations.
- Support operation of a wide variety of infrastructure services including Machine Learning and Prediction, Cloudera Big Data clusters, Kafka and RabbitMQ messaging, database encryption, E-Mail infrastructure at scale, DNS, Puppet, Elasticsearch, F5 BigIP, and more.
To be successful in this role you have:
- The ideal candidate will have a strong background in systems administration and engineering, understanding of the components of a cloud infrastructure including hardware platforms, OS, applications, databases, networks, web and application servers. Prior experience in Site Reliability Engineering/DevOps and managing large-scale server infrastructure at a cloud computing or MSP setting is highly desirable. Strong Linux expertise is a must.
- Capability to obtain a favorable US Public Trust Position
- Solid experience with Linux (RedHat and/or CentOS)
- Familiarity with MySQL, Oracle, MariaDB, or similar technologies; proficiency preferred
- Strong experience with service troubleshooting in a production environemnt covering web front-end, Systems, Databases and Networks.
- Familiarity with Networking Technologies such as routing, switching and load balancing. F5 and NGINX experience is ideal.
- Experience with performance and availability monitoring, analysis, and configuration management platforms (e.g. Nagios/Icinga, Cacti, Ansible, Puppet, cfengine, chef, Splunk, Logstash) is desirable.
- Understanding of ITIL v3 framework and how it applies to incident, problem and change.
- Candidate must have good communication skills and work well in a collaborative team environment.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
All new employees hired in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to such exceptions as required by law. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of full vaccination or have an approved accommodation, by your start date. Visit our Candidate FAQ page to learn more.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site .
Work personas are categories that are assigned to employees depending on the nature of their work. Employees will fall into one of three categories: Remote, Flexible or Required in Office.
Required in Office
A required in office work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office. This persona is required to work from their assigned workplace location 100% of the work week based on the business needs of their role.
A flexible work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office and will work from their assigned workplace location roughly 3 days/week or less (generally around 40-60% of the work week). Flexible employees may choose to work the remaining working time from their workplace location or home. Flexible employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.
A remote work persona is defined as an employee who performs their responsibilities exclusively outside of a ServiceNow workplace and is not contracted or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office, including those whose place of work (pursuant to their terms and conditions of employment) is their home. Remote employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.