Sr. Manager, Software Engineering at ServiceNow
Work matters. It’s where we spend a third of our lives. And the workplace of the future is going to be a great place. We’re dedicated to bringing that to life for people everywhere. That’s why we put people at the heart of everything we do.
People matter. Our people have a passion for learning, building, and innovating. Whether you’re an engineer, a sales professional, a finance professional, or anything in-between, our roles aim to provide each person with meaningful impact and plenty of space to grow.
ServiceNow’s Global Cloud Services (GCS) team is the foundation of all ServiceNow products and aspires to deliver always available infrastructure services around the world. GCS owns all facets of the design-deploy-operate model across ServiceNow’s global infrastructure and this role will help define, coordinate, and deliver some of the most complex business and engineering problems at scale.
The Operations Development team is currently seeking an exceptional Manager with a passion and commitment to overcome hard technical and architectural challenges to deliver excellent customer outcomes. The expectation is that you are a hands-on engineer that is creative, has a strong capacity to collaborate across teams to develop tools and DevOps processes, while leading and growing a team of very smart engineers.
- Lead, empower, coach, manage and grow the team of engineers to their potential. Recognize the individual strengths of each member and their diverse experiences that can help them and the team to reach new heights
- Design and build enterprise-grade applications and tools for the Global Cloud Operations group
- Influence technical and process direction of the company’s deployment model
- Directly interface with internal architects and stakeholders
- Instrument services and use data to drive iterative improvement
- Provide technical direction and define areas of work for the team
What you get to do in this role:
- Manage a team of software engineers building services and tools to enable the Service Operations organization to scale support for ServiceNow’s multi-cloud strategy
- Influence product direction, define architecture and roadmap, and ensure quality product
- Ability to lead and mentor software engineers in the Operations Development team. Goal is to serve as a point-of-escalation and continually uplift their technical skills and capability
- Ability to engage and effectively communicate with multiple parties during the execution of changes or complex, multi-tiered projects.
- Review and operate the current datacenter systems and make changes and recommendations based on gaps identified
- Own and drive implementation/testing projects received from the Data Center and Service Operations organizations
- Build relationships with partner teams like Infrastructure, Service Operations, and Data Center organizations to collaborate, design and develop innovative approaches, capabilities, and superior solutions for customers ranging from simple to complex
- Develop and maintain automation frameworks that ensure devices and systems are configured and operating within defined standards of the network
- Develop and maintain internal tools to assist with operating the network infrastructure at scale
- Provide feedback to the Infrastructure and Development teams on architecture, design decisions, tools used, and automations.
- Feedback to Infrastructure and Development teams on how to improve overall quality and reliability of the service.
- A good knowledge of cloud infrastructure is a must
- Use critical thinking skills to solve difficult and sometimes ambiguous problems
- Identify & solve bottlenecks and systemic problems
- Apply new technology and innovation to improve platform functionality
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
We’re looking for an experienced, passionate, driven senior software engineering manager who can help us build scalable and reliable cloud computing solutions to support our Saas/PaaS products. A proven track record and experience in working in an industry-leading operations organization. A background in or exposure to software development such as scripting, automation, and SDLC would be beneficial. The following is a list of requirements for this role:
- 10+ years of experience in professional software development, prefer 5+ in SaaS and/or Cloud development. Experience working in a DevOps environment is a big plus
- 5+ years of experience as manager leading software developers
- Ability to hire top talent and build a productive team
- Has advanced knowledge of containers, Kubernetes and cloud-native technology
- Strong foundation in distributed systems with proven experience designing and architecting systems, frameworks, and scalable reusable components
- Experience designing and building scalable web services, strong technical knowledge of building REST based APIs and Microservices
- Strong problem-solving, debugging skills and an aptitude for learning new technologies
- Experience with Python, Node, Go, Ansible with emphasis on writing modular, scalable server-side components, knowledge of web development frameworks
- Is effective at forming, communicating and driving a plan, while identifying and accommodating the requirements of internal stakeholders
- Ability to develop, test, and deploy production-ready application
- Excellent written, verbal communication and Inter-Personal skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Is a competent influencer for disruptive technical change in an established organization
- Has integrity, honesty and can uphold ServiceNow’s values.
- Has high coding standards and can maintain them even when the pressure is on
- Linux/Unix basic system administration and troubleshooting knowledge are plus.
- Experience with cloud platforms like Amazon, OpenStack, Azure is a plus
- Experience with ServiceNow Platform is a plus
- Experience with enterprise infrastructure management, specifically within the contexts of Datacenter Operations is a plus
- Solid understanding of the end-to-end Observability experience that allows Developers and DevOps to easily monitor and quickly identify which components of their technology stack, from the front-end through the applications to the infrastructure, maybe causing performance issues as well as understand the impact on end-users.
- Continue to build on an inclusive and equitable environment for all engineers to do the best work of their careers
And finally, ServiceNow as a company
You already know that ServiceNow is changing the way people work. Due to the success of our products we are experiencing growth in virtually all areas of our organization.
To sustain our growth, we are looking for drivers - people who thrive on responsibility and live for the next big challenge. We seek to employ the brightest and most forward-thinking talent on the planet, and we want to hire people who have their best work ahead of them, not behind them. Accelerate your career and succeed in an environment where you can make an impact daily. We invite you to join in and stand out.
We are a dynamic and rapidly growing software company with a strong sense of dedication to our customers. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals with strong aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers/engineers in the business. We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional, yet relaxed, atmosphere.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or [email protected] for assistance
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.