Sr Site Reliability Engineer at Expedia Group
Are you looking to join a team that builds foundational infrastructure, automation, and tools at a large scale? Are you passionate about security, scalability, and availability? Within the Transactional Services Site Reliability Engineering team, we’re all about inspiration, challenge, collaboration, innovation, and having a say in what you do. Through our energy and passion for delivering highly reliable systems to our customers, we empower Expedia’s brands to deliver best-in-class experiences for booking travel.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is a discipline that combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Expedia’s critical systems have the stability and reliability required to meet the needs of our users. SRE is also a set of engineering approaches to running better production systems and building solutions to solve operations problems. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure, and eliminating manual work through automation.
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer, you will be a builder and not a maintainer. You will design, build and refine systems to improve the availability, latency, scalability and performance aspects of our services.
What you’ll do
- Help our team grow with strong leadership, mentorship, and coaching.
- Engage early in the service lifecycle by contributing to system design, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning, and production readiness reviews.
- Enable reliability and scalability by developing infrastructure, automation and tooling.
- Build solutions for auto-mitigation, auto-healing, and fault tolerance to reduce blast radius and prevent re-occurrence of issues.
- Create visibility by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health.
- Continually evolve systems by developing and advocating for changes that improve stability and reliability.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have…
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding or systems engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent leadership, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Strong communication skills and the ability to influence others
- Strong debugging, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Strong programming skills, preferably in Python, Java, Ruby, Go, Perl, C, C++, or Shell
- Proficiency with object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating system internals and administration
- Understanding of networking and Internet protocols, such as routing, network topologies, HTTP, DNS, TCP, and UDP
- Experience building and operating large scale distributed systems
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Call to action
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
*LI-MS1Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.