Senior Software Development Engineer
Are you a creative software developer ready for the opportunity to build an eCommerce platform with the potential to transform an entire company? Would you thrive in a high-energy atmosphere where we constantly evaluate new technology with a relentless focus on automation and continuous delivery? Then come join us and build the most expansive and versatile transaction platform in travel!
As a Senior Software Development Engineer for data engineering in our eCommerce Platform group, you will lead the design and implementation of data streams, real-time processing, and data lake storage at scale. We are seeking a technical leader for our tax compliance engine, which provides a scalable, configurable platform for gathering tax data and filing taxes for various jurisdictions across the world for all Expedia Group transactions.
As a member of the Tax Compliance team, you will have the opportunity to push the boundaries of cloud data technologies. From Apache Spark, and AWS Glue, to Kafka, AWS Lambda, Redshift, and Kinesis, we’re always looking for the right technology to scale our data lake. You will set the example as we build for the long-term, with a focus on design patterns, re-usability, and robust engineering practices including CI/CD.
This is an opportunity to take a pivotal role in building the data backbone of Expedia’s transaction and financial platforms. If we get it right, what we build will not only power all Expedia Group companies, but could also become the foundational data platform for the entire travel industry.
What you’ll do:
- Design and develop business-critical back-end services
- Guide your team in adoption of cloud & server-less technologies, advise on good design practices, and find opportunities to simplify and scale
- Review pull requests, and lead by example on code refactoring for readability, extensibility, and testability
- Own your products, with a focus on DevOps and robust automation
- Embrace change, always open to replacing what you built yesterday with something better today
- Build a cloud-native, streaming data, real-time processing, and a data lake platform that scales into the terabytes
- Contribute to a product that has the potential to become the foundational transaction platform for the entire travel industry
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related discipline
- Experienced Java and/or python developer with exceptional software system design, problem solving, and object-oriented coding skills
- At least 5 years software development experience, with a background in high volume eCommerce solutions or other transactional processing systems
- Experience delivering and supporting highly available and scalable solutions with large transaction volume on a 24x7 operational cycle
- Experience with building CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins/Kumo
- Experience developing in AWS or similar cloud platforms. Preferred: S3, ECS/Docker, AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, EMR, CloudFormation
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features and review technical designs
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.