Staff Developer Advocate at Block (Remote)
TBD is building platforms and protocols that enable developers - from startups to established financial institutions - to more easily create solutions in the decentralized financial space that further economic empowerment globally. TBD's vision is a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over finances, data, and identity to individuals. We invite the world to join us in creating and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people. You will be an essential contributor as we deliver this mission.
We build platforms and protocols to advance the state of decentralized technologies, and we're doing it all in the open!
We know the best innovations on the web were born in public. They've been built with a diverse online community that is willing to question how the internet can better connect us.
As a Staff Developer Advocate, your job will be to educate and advocate for one of the most important young communities in the world - the builders of the decentralized web.
We're gaining momentum with our open source projects, and the development community is eager for educational material that helps them navigate this new technology and enable them to build decentralized applications using our Web5 platform .
You'll report to TBD's Head of Developer Programs, Angie Jones.
If you're an excellent candidate for this role, you:
- Are empathetic towards and eager to help others who are seeking to learn about our projects
- Excel at effectively explaining complex technical concepts in an engaging way
- Get excited about creating unique and interesting content for various mediums (e.g. video, written, audio)
- Enjoy diving into specs, API docs, and others' code to prototype new things on your own
- Are happy to leverage your technical influence to usher a new wave of inclusion and innovation for the web
- Appreciate the subject matter expertise of your colleagues and view them as a resource for your own work
- Are comfortable working independently
- Thrive in ambiguity and are able to quickly adapt to changes
- Are excited to advance Self-Sovereign Identity and Decentralized Web Nodes to help developers deliver decentralized applications
- Have 5+ years of relevant experience in Developer Relations
- Write and maintain tutorials and code samples for our projects
- Develop small toy applications that demonstrate the use of our platforms and SDKs
- Write and curate relevant blog posts
- Record demonstrative videos showcasing key project features
- Speak at meetups, conferences, and webinars (travel required)
- Teach workshops that give developers hands-on experience building decentralized web applications with our open source offerings
- Engage with the TBD community via our external social channels
- Be an internal advocate for the community and communicate their needs
- Create new and exciting initiatives to build engagement with the developer community (e.g. hackathons, contests, etc)
- Collaborate with our various teams such as Open Source Engineering, Open Source Programs, Product, Partnerships, and Marketing/Brand
Developer Relations Portfolio
Kindly submit samples of your DevRel work that showcase technical content. Links to these samples can be placed in a document and included as a page of your resume.
2 - 3 blog posts that you've written on technical concepts
2 - 3 videos of you speaking on a technical topic at a conference, meetup, etc.
1 - 3 examples of code you've written for DevRel. This can be GitHub repos of demo apps, workshops, or tutorials that include code samples
Other Relevant Work (optional)
Links to any other relevant DevRel work such as:
- podcast episodes where you've been a guest or host
- Twitter threads where you've explained a technical concept
- Live streams where you've talked about a technical concept
- Videos you've produced and edited
- Twitter Spaces where you've been a guest or host
- Online courses you've taught
- Newsletters you've authored
- StackOverflow answers you've submitted
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location's zone designation, please refer to this resource . If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.