Staff Systems Engineer – Linux Puppet Configuration Management at ServiceNow
ServiceNow is making the world of work, work better for people. Our cloud‑based platform and solutions deliver digital workflows that create great experiences and unlock productivity for employees and the enterprise. We're growing fast, innovating faster, and making an impact on our customers' and employees' lives in significant and important ways. With over 6,900 customers, we serve approximately 80% of the Fortune 500, and we're on the 2020 list of FORTUNE World's Most Admired Companies.®
We’re looking for people who are ready to jump right in and help us build on our incredible momentum, our diverse, engaged workforce, and our purpose to make the world of work, work better.
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.Job Description
The Cloud Infrastructure Systems Engineering team at ServiceNow is looking for help on a green field project to modernize our server configuration management pipeline using Puppet, and integrating with the ServiceNow platform and the many services in our global cloud environment. We’re looking for a skilled systems engineer and developer who can help craft the technology and processes needed to sustain ServiceNow’s rapid growth and pace of innovation.
What you get to do in this role:
- Develop with Puppet, Ruby, and Python in order to build a configuration management pipeline that is safe, fast, and observable.
- Build orchestration workflows by leveraging features of the ServiceNow platform.
- Manage a large-scale hybrid cloud of bare metal and VMs.
- Work as part of a team that writes, reviews, and deploys everything as code.
- Write test plans and test automation for declarative infrastructure in multiple cloud environments.
- Research and implement new open-source and commercial tools, technologies and methodologies.
To be successful in this role you have:
- Has experience operating Linux servers at scale in a production environment using Puppet (Open Source or Enterprise) modern best practices.
- Can research best practices and help maintain and promote high standards for development.
- Has a deep understanding of Linux servers and their components, including networking, storage, and software packaging.
- Can document and communicate systems architecture.
- Is comfortable with their ability to design, write and debug code in a team setting. You should also have experience writing test specifications and understand the fundamentals of test automation.
- Has experience with a variety of open-source tools used in the operation of a production computing environment.
- Can figure things out – you’ll be working with a wide variety of systems technologies. There is plenty of help, but to be successful you will need to be capable of digging deep into internals of DevOps tools.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
All new employees hired in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to such exceptions as required by law. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of full vaccination or have an approved accommodation, by your start date. Visit our Candidate FAQ page to learn more.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site.
Work personas are categories that are assigned to employees depending on the nature of their work. Employees will fall into one of three categories: Remote, Flexible or Required in Office.
Required in Office
A required in office work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office. This persona is required to work from their assigned workplace location 100% of the work week based on the business needs of their role.
A flexible work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office and will work from their assigned workplace location roughly 3 days/week or less (generally around 40-60% of the work week). Flexible employees may choose to work the remaining working time from their workplace location or home. Flexible employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.
A remote work persona is defined as an employee who performs their responsibilities exclusively outside of a ServiceNow workplace and is not contracted or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office, including those whose place of work (pursuant to their terms and conditions of employment) is their home. Remote employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.