Vice President, Search & Discovery at Expedia Group
Vice President Search & Discovery
As a senior engineering leader for the largest two-sided travel marketplace in the world, you will be responsible for the search and discovery technology platform across multiple product lines (lodging, flight, car, etc.). Your mission is to provide our customers the simplest, friction free search experience in travel through technology, signals, and AI. This position requires a standout technology leader with search (selection and ranking) and discovery systems experience to lead our engineering team. You will work with key partners across Expedia Group to establish and drive the technology roadmap for Search and Discovery platform. You will be responsible for this critical marketplace expansion and build our next generation systems. This role is game changing for Expedia and career making for you. We are looking for the right combination of experience and innovation to achieve our vision. You are a technology leader with next generation complex system experience; able to manage through a high level of complexity; and scale system that manage at least 100B events a day.
We are looking for someone experienced in global scale; hiring, developing and growing technology leaders; and creating strong partnerships. The right candidate:
- Balances stability with innovation and forward-thinking leadership
- Leads global, cross-functional teams to conceive and develop new concepts, establish development milestones, and manage the development, implementation and subsequent rollout
- Stays on top of multiple projects and details without losing sight of the ‘big picture’
- Possesses a demonstrated ability to take complex problems, create solutions, refine them, test, implement, and iterate with superior quality and process control as a must
- Learns through frank postmortems, celebrates wins and improves from mistakes. If it was easy, it wouldn’t be fun!
- Lead with humility and accountability
- Learning-oriented decision making
What you’ll do:
- Hard requirement: An open mind to try, win, lose, improve and become part of the team.
- Experience making decisions under pressure. Grow to $50B market cap.
- 12+ years, including graduate level degrees
- 5+ years experience deploying full life cycle revenue enhancing data models from: conception, design, build, test, launch, improve.
- Proven experience communicating from high level design abstractions to low level scalars.
- Process skills; post mortems, pre mortems, CI/CD, code review, product review, improvement and iteration skills.
- Data Science mindset; ability to identify and design data collection and modeling opportunities throughout the product.
- Economics mindset, experience in low latency, revenue optimizing, yield maximization, customer satisfying machines.
- Proven Leadership experience: ability to set clear strategy and lead the team and company there.
- Business acumen, managing to budget. Adapting team focus to outcomes: customer value and business ROI. Laser focus on high value delivery.
- Strong communication skills to both simplify and dive deep into situations. This includes both verbal and written communication.
Who you are:
- Inspiring and approachable as a leader
- Create an environment where people can realize their full potential
- Be humble and lead with open, candid relationships
- Inspire peripheral relationships across Expedia Group
- Passionate about engaging and developing talent; attract, develop, engage and retain talented individuals with a compelling, unifying vision that steers and motivates
- Natural bar-raiser: curious and passionate, with a desire to continuously learn more, which you use to understand basic business operations and the organizational levers that drive profitable growth
- Bias to action, being familiar with methods and approaches needed to get things done in a collaborative, lean and fast-moving environment
- Respond effectively to complex and ambiguous problems and situations
- Lead mostly with questions rather than opinions, thriving on the opportunity to own, innovate, create, and constantly re-evaluate
- Comfortable making recommendations across competing and equally critical business needs
- Simplify, clearly and succinctly convey complex information and ideas to individuals at all levels of the organization
- Motivated by goal achievement and continuous improvement, with the enthusiasm and drive to motivate your team and the wider organization
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We have begun the exciting move to our new Seattle Campus. This campus is a physical representation of the new Expedia Group brand and reflects our growing aspirations on the world stage. It is not just a place where we do our best work; it is a destination. To learn more and explore the campus please visit: https://lifeatexpedia.com/seattle-campus
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.