We believe that mobile voice calls should be secure, engaging, and protected from fraud and robocalls. We believe the phone app is the most outdated app on your smartphone, and that the mobile network - as the largest communications network of any kind - urgently needs a trust and identity layer. You should know who's calling you and why! You should get the calls that are relevant to you (at that time) and none of the ones that aren't. Hiya is building the modern layer for the voice experience. We already serve over 120M users worldwide directly through our apps and in partnership with smartphone makers like Samsung and mobile carriers like AT&T. Are you ready to lead our engineering team on the road to help us serve 1B users?
We are hiring a VP of Engineering to oversee all our software engineering. You'll manage 50+ engineers (and growing) globally. You'll report directly to the CTO and you'll work closely with executives and product managers on strategic matters representing the engineering perspective.
On the management front, you'll:
- Mentor, develop, and guide your engineering directors, engineering managers, and engineers so they can do their best work
- Participate in all steps of the recruiting process to build our engineering team
- Lead with compassion and make the tough calls when needed
- Listen to all stakeholders and build consensus to the best of your ability, without creating a committee-driven culture
- Be pragmatic, learn about our product, process, and tools, and evaluate what can be done for us to build faster and better products, and maintain a smooth enterprise-grade operation
As a manager of engineers and a technology leader, you'll:
- Be a key contributor to strategic and tactical roadmap planning and product definition
- Participate in engineering design and architecture decisions
- Be as close as possible to each team architecture and code to be able to provide adequate cross-system solutions to drive our business goals
- Be familiar with our mobile and cloud tech stack to make decisions about vendors and frameworks
- Be focused on delivery, execution, and tactical engineering approach
- Be on top of the latest and greatest technologies, tools, methodologies, and frameworks for software engineering and engineering management
- Be directly involved in partnerships and customer conversations
You don't have to check all the boxes, but we think these are important requirements for this role:
- You have been a hands-on software engineer (with a CS degree or equivalent) for more than 10 years
- You have managed a team of 20 or more engineers, and managed engineering managers or directors of engineering
- You have worked at a startup (< 500 employees) in the last 5 years or you believe you'll excel in a startup environment (high ambiguity, high urgency, fast-paced, low support structure)
- You believe that technology exists to make the world a better place and you are passionate at managing and leading people to achieve their full potential
- You have developed or managed teams that developed software for the cloud (preferably AWS), for front-end Web, for Android, and for iOS
- You've built highly scalable, highly reliable, and low-latency systems
- You have superb written and verbal communication skills
You'll be an important member of our team to help us serve 1B consumers and making phone calls better for everyone.
Hiya is committed to diversity and inclusion and we desire to build a team with a variety of perspectives, identity, and professional experiences. It's our intention to evaluate each candidate exclusively in the merits of their skills, competencies, and contribution to the organization.
This position is based in Seattle.