Accountant at Trupanion
Trupanion is looking for a dynamic, energetic, and highly curious Accountant who will play a key role in the preparation of journal entries, account recons, and analytics. As a critical member of a rapidly growing public company, this role will work with the finance team to complete monthly close tasks and duties as well as work collaboratively to facilitate cross-functional coordination among teams and departments. This is a hands-on position that drives the improvement of tools, processes, and procedures to allow the company to scale rapidly.
The Accountant will assist with our day-to-day accounting and have a proven track record to prioritize and manage tasks and projects with competing deadlines. The ideal candidate will organize, maintain, and streamline processes.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Perform monthly close tasks to achieve internal and external reporting timelines
- Reconcile Company's revenue reports to bank statements on an ongoing basis and prepare final month-end reconciliations for related general ledger accounts
- Maintain claims reports and prepare related journal entries. Ensure that balance sheet related accounts are reconciled and accurately reflect monthly activity
- Assist in the calculation of Trupanion's performance metrics for monthly management reporting
- Prepare tasks in accordance with US GAAP and ensure adherence to SOX tasks for related areas
- Prepare internal and external deliverables for SEC reporting, quarterly reviews, and year-end audits
- Analyze monthly financial statements, variance analysis, and gain an understanding of critical metrics to ensure accurate internal and external reporting
- Think critically and maintain an inquisitive mentality to recommend, implement, and document process improvements to promote efficiency and SOX compliance
Education, Registration & Certification:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA preferred
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- 1-2 years of public accounting experience preferred, monthly close in a fast-paced a constantly evolving business environment a plus
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Dynamics GP is a plus
- Strong analytical ability and detail-oriented
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and be passionate about process improvement
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits at no cost to the employee
- Four weeks paid time off and 9 paid float holidays (you can decide which days are most important to you!)
- Five-week sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Open, casual, pet-friendly, and fun office environment
- Free medical health insurance for your pet (1 dog or cat)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Seattle Office Amenities: Free on-site gym, free dog walking services for office pets during business hours, free parking, and paid ORCA cards.
We're all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We're focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself: https://www.facebook.com/Trupanion/videos/10155423763702974/
We're more than insurance - we're a tech company too! Learn more about how you can use Trupanion to pay your vet directly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdWZ4KHiPTQ
Trupanion Team DNA:
At Trupanion, we achieve great things together when we are:
- Caring: We are kind to each other and assume positive intent.
- Collaborative: We work together to achieve company goals (we not me).
- Courageous: We are determined, take risks, and make bold moves.
- Curious: We seek new information to continually better ourselves and our work.
- Honest: We believe candid communication leads to successful teamwork.
- Inclusive: We welcome and value all people and perspectives.
- Nimble: We readily adapt and evolve in pursuit of progress and innovation.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, abilities, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations.