In this newly created, strategic, Senior Director of Tax role, you will provide direction and oversight for worldwide tax accounting and reporting, U.S. federal and state income tax compliance, and U.S. federal tax controversy for Expedia Group. In addition to your deep technical expertise in ASC 740, tax accounting, and SEC reporting, you will assist with tax operations, including process and policy development and management, technology and automation, tax planning and modeling, and transaction support.
Strategic thinking and impactful influencing are critical as you will interact with our finance and business leaders, to ensure timely and accurate tax reporting and drive operational excellence and participating in wider, global cross-functional initiatives to achieve the goals and priorities of Expedia Group. You are motivated by change, innovation and transformation.
What you’ll do:
- Financial Reporting
- Provide deep technical expertise and leadership in all aspects of ASC 740 and financial reporting.
- Lead a team of tax professionals to account for all aspects of global tax accounting and reporting.
- Present quarterly and annual accounting for income tax results to management and independent auditors.
- Analyze tax accounting and reporting requirements for business combinations, debt and equity offerings, and other major corporate transactions.
- Tax Compliance and Controversy
- Plan and execute the preparation and filing of U.S. federal and state income tax returns, including management of tax specialists and advisors.
- Review and approve U.S. taxable income calculations and forecasts and identify potential tax savings opportunities.
- Manage U.S. federal income tax audits and other inquiries. Maintain concurrent, audit-ready workpapers and financial records for all filings.
- M&A: Provide support for domestic transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, and business initiatives. Approve calculations and/or disclosures relating to the impact of such transactions.
- Planning and Legislative: Initiate and review analysis of changes in tax legislation and provide recommendations to management.
- Technology and Automation: Lead the evolution of the tax reporting function, tax technology tools and support technology enhancements. On an ongoing basis, develop and implement process improvements.
- Controls and Process Transformation: Maintain and approve process documentation and support ongoing process transformation while ensuring adherence to controls and policies.
- Talent Management and Development: Manage and develop a team of tax professionals. Demonstrate strong interpersonal and leadership skills, with the ability to mentor and train team members, and work well in a diverse, multicultural environment.
Who you are:
- Comprehensive and demonstrable technical skills related to general accounting principles, ASC 740, and federal and state income tax concepts, with exposure to international tax concepts.
- Demonstrable track-record as a team leader: building an atmosphere of trust; providing technical training and mentorship to other team members.
- Must have a CPA license and ideally a degree in Accounting or a related discipline.
- Tax provision and compliance software experience, preferably Corptax.
- Strong aptitude for identifying and implementing continuous process improvements.
- Strong analytical skills, and the ability to develop solutions around new facts or tax law changes. Strong tax research skills.
- Inclusive stakeholder management and interpersonal skills. Ability to navigate the complexities of multiple internal and external partners, with experience leading teams
- Team player, who has thrived in demanding, intellectually charged environments, has strong convictions and has the ability to win credibility and contribute across the breadth of a business and its senior management team.
- You are a change-agent, confident as a self-starter and a diligent problem solver.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.