Associate General Counsel at Trupanion
Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion, we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
Trupanion's Legal Department is looking for a highly motivated insurance regulatory attorney to join a fast-paced environment to help grow our Company and the medical insurance for pets category. In this role, reporting directly to the General Counsel, you will lead the Regulatory team, responsible for proactive risk assessment, internal counseling on legal and regulatory matters, and management of regulatory relationships. You'll also have direct client contact with senior management and extensive engagement with regulators. Does this sound like you?
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Partner with US and Canadian insurance regulators on various matters, including managing market conduct examinations and responding to inquiries;
- Further enhance strong relationships with regulators;
- Partner with business owners to design and implement initiatives in a fully compliant manner;
- Manage a team of regulatory and compliance professionals;
- Maintain compliance program that includes proactive assessment of risks and the testing of controls designed to ensure such compliance;
- Ensure team members are optimally trained with respect to applicable regulations;
- Manage responses to member complaints.
What we're looking for (Please include a cover letter with your application!):
- J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar;
- Seven or more years of relevant legal experience;
- Passion for helping pets;
- Prior experience providing advice to senior executives;
- Prior experience engaging with insurance regulators on regulatory and/or transactional matters;
- Ability to fit into a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment;
- Ability to demonstrate sound and practical business judgment, sometimes in ambiguous situations;
- Law firm experience strongly preferred;
- Exceptional academic credentials.
You'll be a good fit if:
- You're a strategic thinker who can proactively identify, assess and clearly articulate legal risks to assist the business in moving forward thoughtfully and expeditiously;
- You have excellent organizational skills and multi-tasking abilities, you consistently follow through and aren't intimidated by short deadlines;
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills;
- You are a standout colleague who can work across the business and with external parties collaboratively and effectively.
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Full medical, dental and vision benefits at no cost to the employee
- Four weeks paid time off
- Five-week sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Open, casual, pet-friendly and fun office environment
- Free dog walking services for office pets during business hours
- Free medical health insurance for your pet (1 dog or cat)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Free on-site gym
We’re all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We’re focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself:
Things We Value
- Caring: We care about each other.
- Adhocracy: An adhocracy is intentionally ‘adhoc’ instead of bureaucratic. Adhocracies value the ability to adapt quickly, flexibility and employee empowerment.
- Trusting: We trust one another with information
- Sincere: We do what we say and say what we mean.
- Devoted: We love pets.
- Original: We are innovative and fair.
- Genuine: We are free to express our true selves.
- Simple: Simple is better.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.