At Assurance we are disrupting the antiquated and inefficient world of insurance and financial services. Our team of world class software engineers, data scientists, and business professionals are modernizing how people obtain and manage their financial life all through our powerful platform ecosystem. We are rapidly growing as we expand our product offerings and global footprint, and this growth continues to present new and exciting challenges as we push our industry into its future. We eliminate waste throughout the industry and calculate the complex into simple, valuable solutions to improve people's lives. We are humble, driven, and committed to improving the lives of millions.
About the Position
The Assurance Legal team is seeking a highly talented, business savvy and experienced attorney to join our rapidly growing company. With Prudential Financial’s acquisition of Assurance in 2019, this position is a unique opportunity that combines the ability to work for a young, innovative start-up with the support and strength of an over 140-year-old financial services company.
Among your responsibilities, you will provide primary legal support in helping Assurance expand our direct -to-consumer platform to include lead generation and brokerage of mortgage, personal loan, and other personal finance products.
At the same time, you will need to be comfortable working in a wide variety of legal disciplines, including insurance distribution, marketing, employment, privacy, intellectual property, litigation, regulatory affairs, contracts, and corporate law. It is unlikely that any two days will be the same in this role. You should expect to negotiate and draft key agreements; counsel product managers, data scientists, engineers, marketers, compliance officers, and other business partners on everything from the addition of new products or features on the platform to digital marketing initiatives to new regulatory obligations; support complaint handling and litigation matters; and track and advise on emerging legal and regulatory issues that could impact Assurance.
In this role, you also will manage outside counsel relationships, as well as work closely and collaboratively with subject matter experts across Prudential’s Law, Compliance, Business Ethics, and External Affairs team.
This role is an ideal opportunity to help shape the future of insurance and personal finance.
To be successful in this role, you must possess the following qualifications:
- A JD degree and bar membership in good standing in at least one state. You will need to become admitted to the limited practice of law as House Counsel in the State of Washington if not admitted to the bar in that state.
- At least seven (7) years of law firm, regulatory or in-house law department experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with federal and state rules and regulations governing mortgage brokerage and other consumer finance activity, including RESPA, TILA, FCRA, UDAAP and state licensing laws.
- Superior analytical skills.
- Strong work-ethic, with an ability to work independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- An ability to write and communicate clearly and simply in providing focused, technically-sound, practical legal solutions.
- Intellectual curiosity and an appetite for learning new legal disciplines outside your current areas of experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work and collaborate cross-functionally with various levels within Assurance and Prudential, including senior management and technical experts, to deliver actionable, solution-oriented advice.
- Courage and confidence to speak up, challenge and advocate for a point of view.
- An ability to engage in intelligent risk taking and show excellent judgment in comfortably making clear, rational and timely decisions in the best interests of Assurance and our customers despite ambiguity, complexity, and an ever-evolving regulatory environment.
Please review our CCPA policies here.