Head of Brand Marketing and Communications at Nori (Seattle, WA)
We are seeking a Head of Brand Marketing and Communications to join us at Nori. This newly created senior leadership position will report to the CEO and will be responsible for the creation and management of a multi-team department.
The perfect candidate is a seasoned manager, creator, and strategic thinker who is committed to our shared company values.
This is an incredible time to join one of the pioneers in carbon removal as we just raised our Series A from notable investors such as M13, Toyota Ventures Climate Fund, and Placeholder Capital, to join other backers such as Cargill, North Island Ventures, Tenacious Ventures, and Techstars.About Nori
We’re a team of believers. We believe that humanity can stop and even reverse climate change by removing over 1 trillion tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. How do we get people to remove that much carbon at scale? Pay them! Nori’s marketplace is the infrastructure that creates the financial incentive for people and companies to remove massive amounts of CO2 from the air.
Nori is a venture-backed and highly values-oriented company. Our focus is on people and the planet. We’re composed of a diverse set of people with complementary skill sets, all unified in the mission of restoring the world’s atmospheric carbon balance back to 300ppm.
We strongly suggest that you read in detail about our company values and mission at https://nori.com/careers.Hiring process
- Review the job description and apply! Go to: nori.com/careers. Please answer the questions to give us an idea of what it would be like to have you as part of the Nori team.
- Screening interview. Answer general questions.
- Top-grading. At this stage, we'll review past positions and discuss what you were hired to do, high points, low points, etc.
- Take-home assignment for presentation. We’ll provide a problem statement with some context for you to consider.
- Presentation. Present your findings and recommendations from the take-home assignment. Reviewers include senior leaders at Nori.
- Cultural Interviews with any other senior leaders.
- CEO interview. Meet with our CEO and explore how we’re a mutual fit.
Once filled, we will know we have made a successful hire when…
- There is a clearly defined strategy for marketing that is aligned with Nori’s business milestones, clearly defined paths for how we measure success, and how we iterate on the process of goal setting with regard to marketing, content, and community engagement.
- The necessary hires are made and teams grown to achieve these goals.
What it means to be part of the leadership team:
- Cross-team collaboration with other team leads in solving the many and continuous problems that arise at the edge of the unknown. Nori’s leadership team meets three times a week, (MWF) to share insights on internal and external opportunities and challenges. They work as a team to identify problems and explore solutions, keeping in mind the culture and team working towards both near-term milestones and the larger vision of the company.
- Inform and set the strategy of Nori’s communications, branding and marketing plan. You’ll be expected to keep in mind the current and future state of the company, and hold yourself and your team accountable for taking demonstrable steps towards achieving Nori’s vision within brand and communications.
- Care for and grow your teams. As a leader, it is your responsibility and privilege to stay tuned into the needs of your teams and their members and to advocate for their needs with the leadership team. You’re a shepherd and leader of Nori’s culture and values, and we trust you to care for our most valuable assets: our people. (See Nori’s values at nori.com/about).
- Strengthen and grow Nori’s brand across its ecosystem. We’ll be looking to you to set the near-term and long-term strategy for Nori’s brand across various channels and to various external stakeholders. This includes suppliers in agriculture and future methodologies, buyers and partners in Web3 and crypto space, and community members in climate and Web3.
- Keep our messaging clear, impactful, and consistent both internally and externally. We will rely on you to establish systems that allow the team to easily craft, identify, and iterate on the clarity and consistency of Nori’s brand tone and messaging.
- Grow Nori’s Marketing and Community Engagement teams. These teams have one or two existing employees who are currently working at Nori. You’ll be expected to recommend paths for growing your organization, as well as track and report the success and performance of these teams. We expect you to work collaboratively with your team members and managers to design and iteratively improve the performance metrics such as KPIs.
- Support Nori’s Creative Team. This team will report to you. It has been around since the start of Nori and has been wearing multiple hats across content creation and marketing deployment. However, with you on board, this team will separate from traditional marketing roles and your job is to ensure that this team has the space, time and resources it needs to continuously create out-of-the-box content, campaigns, or projects (such as Nori’s popular podcasts and carbon removal memes).
- Play roles of coach, mentor, and team mate. As a leader at Nori, your colleagues and direct reports will look to you for advice, thoughts, and the ability to have tough conversations as needed for company-wide as well as individual professional growth. We all approach these opportunities with good intentions and kindness. At Nori, we look out for one another. If you see an opportunity to help a colleague in an appropriate and supportive way, you are highly encouraged to do so.
- Build brilliant and trusting teams. We look to grow teams with people who are motivated and clever, bring pitches and generate good work, and are not standing by waiting for something to do. We’ll be looking to you to build out a highly effective and collaborative department made of many teams across brand, communications, and marketing.
- Overseeing external communications and PR, and the Marketing, Creative, and Community Engagement teams
- Collaborating with Nori Creative in expanding the impact of our existing communications products, and evaluating the merit of proposed comms products
- Building from scratch (or nearly scratch) our Marketing and Community Engagement teams
- Auditing our existing internal and external communications for improvement, going on a listening tour to see where there are alignments and where there are divergences and communicate these back to the leadership team
- Developing a comprehensive marketing strategy leading up to and beyond Nori’s token launch
- Co-creating Nori’s top level brand vision and working to achieve it
- Optimizing the various intersections between your department and the rest of Nori
- Establishing analytics that genuinely matter and don’t muddle outcomes
- Drafting press releases, distributing them, and managing our PR firm to maximum effect
- Secure speaking engagements for senior leadership members
- 7-10 years of marketing/brand/comms experience, leading teams of 8 of greater
- Passionate about working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Experience on both the deployment and high-level thinking behind marketing and strategic communications
- Knowledgeable about crypto. Sincerely curious about blockchain, carbon markets, carbon removal, fintech, etc.
- Deep experience with two-sided marketplaces
- Mastery of, or at least familiarity with, most of the diverse skill sets within marketing and communications
- Bring out the best in your colleagues by supporting and trusting them
- Handle a steep learning curve
- Take something good and make it great
- Thrive within a dynamic environment with lots of stakeholders
- Address team dynamics with a focus on continuous improvement
- Have fun working on difficult intellectual challenges
- Limit work in progress and stay focused on the current goal
We have some institutional inertia for how communications are done at Nori. We want to make sure as we grow and mature that what makes Nori’s voice (and internal culture) unique isn’t lost. The job here is to thread the needle in bringing out the best of who we are as a company without losing that core.
Additionally, there are a lot of unknowns at Nori, since we’re working on a global issue (climate change) in a new way that hasn’t been addressed before. We need someone who can thrive and rise to the challenge of working at the edge of the unknown.What’s the payoff for all this hard/fun work?
- You’re not just working at some mobile ads startup—you’re directly helping build products to reverse climate change.
- You get to work with world-renowned experts in carbon sequestration and marketplace economics.
- There is a steep learning curve here, and for people who get excited by that, there’s no better place to be.
- We have a competitive benefits package including 100% of health, dental, and vision benefits for you and dependents, four weeks PTO, unlimited sick leave, stock options, and NORI tokens.
- We are committed to in-person work in our Ballard neighborhood office in Seattle and look forward to meeting you there.
- The expected salary range for this role is between $175,000 to $191,000.
Please fill out the form below. Once submitted, you can expect to hear back from our team in the coming weeks.
Please note that this opportunity does not provide visa sponsorship.
Thank you in advance for your time!