Mobile App Engineer (React Native)
Founded in July 2021, TBD is one of Block's four business units, alongside Square, Cash App, and Tidal. At TBD, we believe in a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over your finances, data, and identity. Guided by this vision, TBD is building an open source platform and developer infrastructure that enables everyone to access and participate in the global economy.
TBD is inviting the world to join us in building and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people - from next generation infrastructure that lowers the cost of global payments and enables frictionless commerce, to decentralized identity technologies that enable anyone to access and participate in the global economy. Our mission advances economic empowerment through the power of decentralized solutions, built open source and collaboratively.
The offerings we build will provide developers, institutions, and individuals with the capabilities needed to build the next wave of innovative apps and services, and access this decentralized future. We're leveraging bitcoin and other decentralized technologies to reinvent the global financial system in an open and permissionless way to further Block's mission of economic empowerment, with a global focus.
As a React Native developer you will be developing an identity and personal data management 'wallet' to facilitate decentralized identity and app interactions. The OSE team works primarily in the open source, standards, and decentralized technology communities, with both internal and external stakeholders. Our goal as a team is to produce enabling technologies that Block and developers at large can leverage to create decentralized, individual-empowering apps, services, and experiences.
This position will report to the Open Source Engineering organization lead.
- Spend roughly 80% of your time actively developing the mobile application for managing identity, credentials, and decentralized apps.
- Spend the balance of your time doing component work to enable the mobile application (e.g. uplifting components for use in React Native).
- Take the app from 0-1 working with a team that includes open source developers, UI/UX designers, PMs, and other organizational stakeholders.
We want employees to be able to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of an org that works across all US time zones. Travel is infrequent, and likely only necessary for specific gatherings of the whole team (e.g. a quarterly week of in-person collaboration).
- BS in CS, CE, EE, or equivalent practical experience.
- 1+ year of exposure to the major components and standards specifications (Decentralized Identifiers, Verifiable Credentials, and personal datastores).
- 5+ years as a lead engineer on a large-scale mobile application.
- Proven experience developing elegant apps and other client experiences that distill complex interactions into simple, intuitive interfaces. (walkthrough of portfolio highly preferred)
- Experience leading a team of engineers.
- Interest in working with native Kotlin/Swift code, when needed to access platform-specific APIs.
You May Also Have (but not required): OPTIONAL
- Distributed systems experience
- Experience with DID implementations
- Understanding of personal datastore technologies
- Familiarity with cryptography concepts and use of cryptography APIs
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location's zone designation, please refer to this resource . If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.