Customer Excellence Manager - Tax Compliance at Avalara
The Customer Excellence Manager’s [CXM] goal is to ensure that Avalara’s customers have an excellent experience with Avalara, from the time they purchase through to renewals, as reflected in customers’ net promoter scores, retention rates and other measures of satisfaction, engagement and risk.
The CXM has personal contact with customers on the phone, email, social media, webinars and occasionally in person, working independently or in partnership with other Avalara stakeholders to positively impact satisfaction and retention through the following activities:
- Assume management of a critical situation, serving as primary external / internal communicator and situation manager until reaching pre-determined exit / resolution criteria
- Align with Avalara’s Managed Returns and Tax Content teams for (1) critical situation management and (2) improvement project management
- Collaborate with Avalara departments (product, support, compliance, contracts, accounting, legal) to resolve issues as appropriate, while driving consistent responsiveness and communication across involved stakeholders
- Capture and organize Voice of the Customer feedback through surveys, critical situations, social media and advisory boards into strategic improvement projects
- Serve as a subject matter expert for tax compliance within the Customer Excellence team for answers to tax-related questions
- Develop annual risk management strategy, leveraging Avalara’s health score index
This CXM will partner with an Avalara Loyalty department to manage tactical situations and strategic improvement projects, specific to the department’s role in a customer’s experience. The CXM will become a subject matter expert with their aligned department, serving as a trusted resource for cross-team questions and insights from internal Avalara stakeholders.
- Experience and exposure to preparing and filing multi-jurisdictional sales/use, business and occupation and gross receipts tax returns, and working with State Department of Revenue groups to resolve customer notices
- Proven track record of strong problem-solving skills. Ability to interview customers to get a clear understanding of a customer’s issues or requests and then promptly respond with the right answer or action.
- Solid project management skills, including managing multiple stakeholders, timelines, clear communications and expectations.
- Professional maturity, including the ability to interface appropriately with senior management at customer companies, working toward resolving customer issues while representing Avalara’s point of view all while managing various internal stakeholders
- Strong sense of customer advocacy; ability to articulate a broad view of customer needs to the appropriate stakeholders within Avalara
- Self-directed & goal driven. Demonstrated ability to set and achieve personal goals with minimal direction or supervision even in the face of competing or conflicting demands
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Must communicate effectively with variety of customers over the phone, in email and in person
- Detail-oriented. Demonstrated ability to identify requirements, break these into smaller work tasks, and ensure all tasks are completed with high quality
- Minimum 5 years in a customer account management, tax compliance and/or technical account management, ideally in a technology organization
- Comfortable with office computer technologies including Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word; CRM systems; as well as a working knowledge of popular internet and social media sites
- Optimistic, enthusiastic and self-motivated. An individual who thrives in a high-growth environment that can sometimes be stressful and chaotic.
- Experience working directly with Fortune 500 customers at multiple stakeholder levels: individual contributor / management / executive
- Previous experience as a Service Account Manager or related post-account management advocacy position with a software organization
- Exposure and comfort with networking concepts, software code, tax calculation, ERP systems and eCommerce platforms
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.