Director, Network Strategy & Market Development at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:07 a.m. (PST) on Saturday, February 20, 2021
Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you’re out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
As the Director of Network Strategy & Market Development you will be responsible for ensuring that Convoy is operating effectively and growing in target markets by sourcing freight that is conducive to spinning our marketplace flywheel faster and sustainably over time. You will have responsibility for two core teams that focus on flywheel acceleration and revenue management with a focus on maturing Convoy’s network and maximizing Convoy’s financial outcomes.
More info on the Convoy Flywheel: https://convoy.com/blog/the-most-efficient-digital-freight-network/
- Manage, mentor, and scale a highly analytical, consultative team that generates actionable strategies and insights that progress our flywheel
- Identify and implement new mechanisms to optimize network performance systematically across the organization
- Systematically develop markets and create a dense, balanced marketplace that generates consistent volume growth with positive unit economics
- Work in close partnership with Marketplace Product teams to identify opportunities (back-hauls, shipment imbalances, carrier density gaps, etc) and then work with our Shipper, Carrier, Contract Pricing, and Marketing teams to systematically execute against those opportunities
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 10+ years of professional experience in strategy, analytics, network planning, yield management or similar fields. Experience defining, supporting, and/or managing network design and supporting marketplace frameworks and strategies.
- 3+ years of experience managing high-performing and analytically driven teams
- The ability to own and drive programs that are a part of the larger strategic vision for Convoy and to develop strategy and gain buy-in for future innovation.
- The ability to influence without authority. You drive effective teamwork, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities. You have an executive presence with the ability to succinctly, confidently and articulately defend and challenge positions in both verbal and written communications.
- Fluent with data and can draw insights and actions from them, unlocking both incremental and large operational improvements. Strong analytical and financial skills to work on complex business scenario planning. SQL, Excel and/or similar data analysis experience.
- A strong focus on execution and can drive concrete programs from early strategy to maturity.
- The ability to excel in a dynamic work environment as an early leader of a growing team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. You can synthesize data into recommendations for business strategy & tactics to a range of audiences including executive leadership.
- Strong judgement and can assess costs, benefits, and risks to programs. You can identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively.
- Superior organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple projects and tasks.
- High emotional intelligence and humility. You are confident, yet humble and enjoy hearing diverse perspectives on a problem. You bring groups together to agree on the best possible solution.
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!