Sr. Program Manager, Cloud Connect
We're seeking a Program Manager to drive the engineering process on the AvaTax Platform Engineering team, leading high-impact projects and operational programs. This role demands excellent communication skils, background technical knowledge, strong process, and the ability to thrive in a demanding and fast-paced work environment. Regular customer interaction, and ability to successfully navigate B2B communications alongside Account Managers and Business Development is part of this essential role.
The AvaTax Platform Engineering team is responsible for the growth and development of Avalara's core calculation engine, cloud extension devices, and essential supporting services. We're boldly addressing the demands of global indirect tax calculation and compliance; leveraging an array of exciting technologies to drive and expand enterprise-level services.
- Oversee complex and/or large-scale projects from initiation to completion.
- Establish and drive to end-to-end project plans; work with teams to ensure on-time milestones and deliverables.
- Work with business and engineering teams to identify scope, constraints, dependencies, and risks.
- Track and improve program specific KPI’s.
- Ensure clear communication and understanding of status across a global multi-team envirionment.
- Ensure usage and adoption of company resources & tools for Program Management, and contribute to standards of communication and reporting.
- Be an effective intermediary between technical teams and the broader business; develop and maintain a clear functional understanding of the systems and technologies used by supported teams, and what Product and Business needs these systems satisfy.
- Work with Product, Customer Account Managers, and Business Development to ensure customer needs are met, and facilitate key customer communciation.
- Management of release process, documentation, and cross-team communication for key programs.
- Ensure operational and support demands on the team properly channeled, tracked, and process-driven.
- 5+ years of Project management experience, Project Management Professional Certification a plus.
- 5+ years working in SaaS or Cloud technology companies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, other related field, or equivalent development work experience.
- Ability to influence staff without direct reporting authority, develop strong working relationships with stakeholders through the company.
- Strong negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Proficiency in working with engineering teams to interpret requirements, document design, scope, and shepherd features.
- Agile training/certification or equivalent experience with agile development methodologies.
- Demonstrated capacity for self-direction, adapability, and excellent communication in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience managing efforts in distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications.
- Familiarity and ability with documentation systems (Confluence) and ticket/workflow tracking (JIRA).
- Experience with enterprise B2B communication/interaction or technical account management for B2B applications.