Senior Software Engineer: Cloud Services at First Mode (Seattle, WA)
First Mode develops and manufactures decarbonization solutions for heavy industry partners dedicated to the clean energy future — for people and planet.
Our team is creative and passionate, with a range of experiences and capabilities. If you want to create a cleaner, more sustainable world, we'd love your help.
First Mode is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our software team and contribute to the development of our clean energy technologies. Applicants from all industries are welcome, with particular emphasis in software development in complex, multidisciplinary systems.
You will help build the software that powers our clean energy product line, leveraging modern tools, techniques, and best practices to craft solutions to real-world problems. Our software projects span a wide range from embedded systems to distributed computing, but usually involve interaction with a physical system.
A successful engineer in this role will thrive in an inventive environment and be excited by researching and teaching themselves new technologies and skills. You will be hands-on with hardware and learn about the clean energy space in the lab, in the field, and in building the software to operate our vehicle fleets.
- Serve as an integral member of our software team, owning software delivery end-to-end throughout the product life cycle, collaborating with other software engineers towards team objectives.
- Design and build our fleet operations software products, include telematics/remote diagnostics, over-the-air-update
- Automate software development processes and integrate testing throughout the software lifecycle
- Design and build our automated CI/CD services with capabilities to mange distribution to remote embedded systems
- Drive operational excellence by delivering high quality software products via automated testing and tooling
- Represent software as a stakeholder within a multi-disciplinary team, from system formulation through design, build and test
- 3-5 years of Product development for cloud-deployed software applications on platforms such as AWS, GCP, or Azure
- 3-5 years of experience in one or more of these languages: Java, Python, C++, Go, Rust
- Practical understanding of core data structures and algorithms and their applications
- Experience with DevOps and Infrastructure-as-code
- Experience with networks and distributed service communication
- Experience completing one or more complete product life cycles
- Experience with operations and continuous integration best practices
- Experience with designing B2B software applications and APIs
- Experience with managing secure communications and credentials for cloud and edge-deployed computer systems
- Experience with automated test infrastructure
- Possess a diverse experience base, with comprehension of low and high-level software
- Experience with the development and execution of agile software and test plans
- Experience with software quality metrics (path coverage, static analysis, etc.)
- Ability to write and speak clearly about technical subject matter
- Travel internationally to represent First Mode to its customers, vendors, and partners
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
Base Salary Range: $143,650 - $181,675
Benefits & Perks
- Annual bonus incentive
- Equity-based awards
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) retirement account with a 3% employer contribution from the start of employment
- Flexible PTO with 12 weeks of supplementary paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits (parking & public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspace with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.