Staff Hardware Architect - R&D
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Quantum computing expert to architect and integrate our next generation hardware and algorithms created in R&D for our future quantum computing systems.
This role is for you if you enjoy hands-on, highly creative, multi-disciplinary work on completely new hardware systems. These are sensitive quantum environments comprised of lasers, light detectors, creative feedback loops and fast modulators to enable our vision of Quantum advantage. You will be flexible in your approach of optimizing many different hardware domains and define new architectural directions to pursue. At the same time, you will be hands-on and disciplined to calculate the performance thresholds of future architecture schemes. You will also build systems to empirically verify architecture performance.
- Architect our next generation quantum computers leveraging our latest R&D hardware and algorithms
- Experiment hands on and iterate your concepts with the cross functional team
- Creative thought leader in defining new areas of hardware and algorithm research for our R&D roadmap
- Stay current on the latest technologies relevant to quantum computing and define what we should pursue or stop
- Establish performance guardrails of different quantum computing architectures
- Creative in finding ways to miniaturize hardware systems
- Owning a technical roadmap towards a new Quantum computer of the future and holding the team accountable to get there
The ideal candidate will have experience leading multiple simultaneous product development efforts, projects, and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical expertise and savvy with strong business judgment to make great technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.
You’d be a good fit with:
- PhD degree in, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years hands on industry (post-doc) experience in Hardware development
- 4+ years development in a Physics based instrumentation environment
- Experienced in laser physics control and modulation
- Broad understanding in hardware architecture options and implications on performance trade-offs
- Creative in finding ways to miniaturize hardware
You’d be a great fit with:
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related technical field
- You are actively creative in building hardware systems even willing to get hands on with diverse platforms like: Raspberry Pi or Arduino
- Experienced in leveraging outside hardware resources to get the job done
- FPGA programming
- Experience working with opto-mechanical design
- A background in robotics
- Familiarity with digital signal processing
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We have also recently announced our new manufacturing and production facility in the Seattle, Washington area. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle and Toronto metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.