Director of Engineering
System1 is looking for a Director of Engineering to be the Lead of our Shopping/ECommerce Sites team. You will design, build, operate, debug, optimize, and deploy highly-distributed and low-latency web-based systems with a growing team of talented engineers. In this role, you will manipulate and leverage datasets to extract valuable insights coming from users' shopping intent. The ideal person will not only be an expert software developer with both back end and some full stack knowledge, but also a collaborative team player with infectious energy and a desire to communicate ideas respectfully to colleagues.
The Role You Will Have
- This is a unique opportunity to grow a team and develop from the ground-up a new distributed platform.
- This new platform will focus on retail and eCommerce products.
- The platform key-technology will enable product recommendations and user-intent detection.
- Build, operate, and optimize large web-based systems and platforms that interface directly with Data Science real-time scoring models and support various optimization algorithms that are multi-objective in nature.
- Design and implement algorithms to efficiently process, analyze, and serve massive datasets.
- Key platform features entail 1. real-time/near-real-time processing of users' engagement data, 2. management of product feeds containing millions of items, 3. integration with ML models that power the sites.
- Serve as a key individual contributor within the Bellevue engineering group and provide technical leadership to the team you will directly contribute to shape and grow.
- Take projects through the full engineering lifecycle: designing, ticketing, building, testing, deploying, and debugging tools and products.
- Help grow a team and work with a tight knit group of engineers and data stakeholders.
What You Will Bring
- 10+ years of combined experience in a backend or full stack development.
- Well versed with Python and python libraries/frameworks is required
- Proven leadership skills and ability to mentor and lead a driven team of talented engineers.
- Passion for leveraging technology to solve problems and maximize productivity and thrive in collaborative teams.
- Prior experience leading projects with at least 2-4 engineers.
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or equivalent, Master's degree a plus
- Experience building scalable and reliable products in the cloud.
- Experience with designing, implementing, and using RESTful APIs
- Ability to execute on ideas and influence decision making in a clear and effective manner.
- Experience with Information Retrieval algorithms and recommender systems is desirable.
- Exposure to Elasticsearch, Apache Solr and SEO.
What We Have To Offer
- Paid Parking or an ORCA Card
- Cross-team lunches and tech demos to foster learning
- Unlimited paid sick time, 17 days of PTO, and 10 paid company holidays
- Competitive Benefits package
- Weekly catered lunch and fully stocked kitchen
- Happy Hours at various bars, restaurants, and venues across Bellevue
- Weekly yoga and fitness classes with private trainer
- Company parties and outings
Read Full Job Description