Manager Commerce Risk & Compliance
The Commerce Risk and Compliance Manager will play a meaningful role in providing payments solutions for the travel market. Expedia Group is responsible for enabling $90 Billion of customer and supplier payment services for a portfolio of global online travel brands under Expedia Group. To date our transactional capabilities are clearly leading the travel industry. And while our technology and products have initially been built to power some of the industry’s leading brands, their ambitious strengths represent a compelling opportunity to broaden Expedia Group’s reach in the ecosystem of travel providers. Join a nimble and mighty team at the forefront of travel plus payments technology development and experience this transformational journey.
This position will be responsible for the underwriting risk and compliance functions throughout the customer lifecycle – sales & contracting, onboarding and sub merchant due diligence, ongoing operations and offboarding. This position will coordinate the risk and compliance functions across our Commerce Teams, our supporting Expedia Group teams and with our partners.
As a key member of the eCommerce Platform (eCP) Commercial Products group, your role will be critical to building, improving and scaling payments related operations functions to power the $2T travel industry. You will work collaboratively across Product, Technology, Operations, Legal, Compliance, Controllership and Expedia Group Channel Partners to ensure compliant eCommerce capability readiness powered by global payment solution providers. This role will report to the Director of Commerce Business Operations & Compliance for the eCP Commercial Products group.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Implement and manage our Risk Underwriting and Compliance functions across the full customer lifecycle
- Business development, sales and contracting
- Customer Onboarding & Due Diligence
- Ongoing Operations – for Risk & Fraud, Payments & Payouts, Chargebacks and back office business functions (e.g., Collections, Write Offs, Accounts Payables, Escheatments, etc.)
- Customer Offboarding
Implement a Risk Underwriting framework and the supporting operational functions
- Act as the Commerce Risk manager
Responsible for assessing, providing recommendations for approval and managing the ongoing risk for each sub merchant
Responsible for risk management of the Commerce business’s overall portfolio
- Develop operational approaches for screening, assessing, recommending and managing risks relevant to each stage of the customer lifecycle
Assess and manage risk related to business identification, financial risk, legal / regulatory risk, reputational risk, etc.
Develop approaches tailored to our major customer types and customer segments
Develop approaches, services and tools specific to each global jurisdiction
- Ensure we implement the performance indicators, metrics and reporting to effectively manage risk for our business
- Set and adhere to our document retention policies; provide documentation and support for our controllership / audit functions
Implement a Compliance framework and operational function
- Act as the Commerce Compliance manager
Responsible for compliance adherence (review, approval, signoff) for each sub merchant we review or onboard, each partner that we work with and for our business as a whole
Monitor new compliance rules, regulations, best practices and support tools via peer groups, industry associations, periodicals and partner SME’s – modify our approach accordingly
- Develop our compliance approach, framework and operational processes supporting Know Your Customer (KYC), Know Your Payee (KYP), Customer Due Diligence (CDD), Sanctions Screening, Anti Money Laundering (AML), Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR), governmental agency reporting, customer privacy, etc.
- Tailor our approach, processes, support partners and tools to each jurisdiction where we operate and to the compliance checks relevant to each stage of the customer lifecycle
- Differentiate our compliance approach and processes for partners and sub merchant entities versus payment transaction processing
- Ensure we implement the performance indicators, metrics, reporting and document retention to effectively ensure we are fully compliant at all times
- Lead our certification efforts (e.g., PCI, SOC, etc.) working cross functionally across Commerce, Expedia Group teams and our partners
- Provide audit & compliance support (Corporate Audit Services, card scheme audits, PCI, SOX, etc.)
WHO YOU ARE
- Proven track record in the Risk Underwriting and Compliance functions
- Defining, building in house or outsourcing, automating, managing and operating, measuring, auditing and scaling these functions
- Significant experience with finance, accounting, economics, auditing and risk management principles, and demonstrated analytical and complex problem solving skills in these areas
- Demonstrated team leadership & coaching skills; strong cross functional alignment and teaming skills
- International and / or Payment Industry experience with Risk Underwriting or Compliance is a plus
- Payment or travel industry knowledge is a plus
You will fit this role if you have:
- Passion for Results: Maintain high standards for the individual, team and organizational accomplishment. Tenaciously work to meet or exceed challenging goals. Derive satisfaction from goal achievement and continuous improvement.
- Communication and Influence Skills: Clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas to individuals and groups; communicate in a focused and compelling way that draws and holds others’ attention. Create and execute influencing strategies that persuade key partners to take action towards advancing shared interests and business goals. Balance results with relationship.
- Analytical Skills: Secure and compare information from multiple sources to identify core issues. Commit to an action-plan after weighing alternative solutions against decision criteria. Enthusiastically and quickly make sense of complex issues. Respond effectively to complex and ambiguous situations.
- Eye for Business: Demonstrate a keen understanding of basic business operations and the organizational levers (systems, processes, departments and functions) that drive profitable growth. Draw from personal experience to quickly evaluate business plans and processes to identify data or recommendations that need further investigation.
- Decision Process: Use a factual approach to decision-making by systematically collecting valid and reliable data. Rely on the data rather than on emotions. Have the backbone to disagree and commit to the decisions towards better business outcomes.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Economics, or equivalent required; MBA from a premier program preferred
- Location: Bellevue, WA USA
WHY JOIN US
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.