Sr. Technical Program Manager
Join the revolution! Avalara Inc., is seeking one a Techincal Program Manager.
Avalara, Inc., (www.Avalara.com), is a leading provider of cloud-based software that delivers a broad array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transactional taxes.
Job Summary: We're seeking a Technical Program Manager to lead high-impact, cross-functional projects. You must be able to thrive within a dynamic, fast-paced environment. You bring an entrepreneurial perspective, and are action-oriented, flexible, resourceful and resilient. You are able to drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also dig in, and get the job done.
This role requires working closely with internal stakeholders to define vision, strategy and requirements, define a roadmap, timelines and success metrics. Once a project is initiated, you will collaborate with engineering teams to monitor progress, manage escalations and make appropriate trade-offs that balance the business needs against any technical and resource constraints.
As part of this role this Technical Program Manager will create and drive efficiency efforts to optimize spend in our cloud environment and manage monthly cloud costs with teams across the business.
* Drive internal platform programs and process improvements across multiple teams and ensure teams are working on high impact projects that align with company mission and goals.
* Identify, prioritize and mitigate architectural risks.
* Manage technical trade-offs to balance short term business needs with long term viability. Develop appropriate controls where necessary
* Ensure that communications and documentation for the client and team needs are complete, current, accurate, and easy to find
* Develop and manage end-to-end project plans and ensure on-time delivery.
* Communicate status and big picture to the project team and management.
* Work with business and engineering teams to identify scope, constraints, dependencies, and risks.
* Identify risks and opportunities across the business and drive solutions.
* 8+ years as a TPM or Engineering Leader
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent work experience
* Experience with solutions architecture, including wireframing scenarios and feature improvements
* Experience managing efforts in distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
* Proficiency in working with engineering teams to design, scope, and shepherd features
* Proven ability to combine business acumen, technical acumen and process expertise to define client (internal/external) engagement and program execution
* Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders across multiple business units
* Excellent problem-solving skills
* Strong negotiation skills
- 10-15 years of Technical/Project management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or other related field
- Ability to influence staff without direct reporting authority
- Deep program and project management skills
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- 5 years of software development experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in SaaS technology company in a program management or similar capacity
- Project Management Professional Certification a plus
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with Jira and Confluence
- 5 years Experience with Scrum
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.