Agile/Technical Project Manager at Ookla
Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for an Agile/Technical Project Manager who can execute and optimize our Agile processes and support product delivery for our consumer and enterprise products. You will work closely with the Product and Engineering teams. You will be responsible for ensuring project deliverables are properly scoped, dependencies are accounted for and the project is meeting delivery goals and deadlines.
The ideal candidate has delivered software solutions, worked closely with business and technology partners, played a crucial role in supporting customer-facing software, and has demonstrable experience managing relationships of internal and external stakeholders.
A Day in the Life
- Run daily Scrum Stand Up meetings
- Review the Sprint backlog and follow up on questions/issues/blockers raised during the meeting with cross-functional team members
- Meeting with Product Owner: review the Product backlog and align on competing priorities for the upcoming Sprint and ensure the backlog is properly prioritized.
- Review Slack messages and respond, as needed.
- Pre-Sprint Planning: plan for the upcoming Sprint Planning meeting, including Sprint capacity and the Scrum team Sprint velocity.
- Run Sprint Planning meeting: close out the current Sprint, review the Sprint Report, discuss performance with the team, and align the Scrum team on how many Story Points will be committed for the next Sprint. Start the new Sprint.
- Post-Sprint Planning: communicate Sprint highlights from previous Sprint and Sprint commitments for the current Sprint to all stakeholders.
Expectations for Success
- Support our Agile development process by executing Scrum processes including daily Standup, backlog grooming, sprint planning, sprint demo, and retrospective meetings.
- Coach team members on Agile and Scrum processes and aspire to continuously improve those processes
- Work with Product and Engineering teams to gather business requirements and help balance business needs with technical constraints
- Manage project timeline including milestones and launch schedule
- Create Stories, task tickets and documentation as needed to support the product backlog
- Identify and resolve bottlenecks, remove impediments and provide escalation management
- Track interdependencies across work streams, communicate status and maintain burndown chart
- Order and prioritize items in the backlog to best achieve the product and project goals
- Assist in the development of work estimation and resource allocation
- Ensure that the backlog is visible and transparent, showing what the development team will work on next
- Assess project risk and work across functional teams to develop contingency plans
- Capture key decisions during project meeting and keep stakeholders and project resources informed
- Conduct regular project reviews, gathering feedback from all stakeholders
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- 2-3 years previous software Agile, Scrum and/or project management experience
- Experience with mobile applications release processes
- Experience with Atlassian (or equivalent software development management tool) and Google Suite products.
- Experience with MS Excel or Google Sheets
- Self-starter with ability to work independently
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Software development or code review experience
- Knowledge with networking & web application protocols (IP, TCP, UDP, HTTP/S)
- Telecommunications and enterprise-level customer experience
- Familiarity with network testing tools
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here].
We offer top-of-market compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours, team activities, lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks. Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In page] for even more information.