Senior Payroll Specialist at Subsplash
Based in Seattle, Subsplash is an exciting award-winning team of 150+ mission-driven people who are committed to our core values of humility, innovation, and excellence. Founded in 2005, we pioneered the market with the first ever church mobile app. Since then, we’ve been working together to build The Ultimate Engagement Platform™ for churches, Christian ministries, non-profits, and businesses around the world. We find excitement in serving our 12,000+ clients, creating impactful products, and delighting the 40 million real people who use our platform every day. Subsplash has won awards for best mobile experience, been voted top 100 Washington's Best Workplaces by the Puget Sound Business Journal, created some of the most downloaded apps of all time, and built enterprise software for world-class brands like XBOX, Microsoft, Samsung, Expedia, and Cisco; yet, at the end of the day, we love making a lasting impact and a difference in our world.
Working at Subsplash is more than just a job; we are a team of people who are courageous, inventive, and passionate about doing meaningful work every day. Don’t take our word for it—head to Glassdoor and see for yourself!
About the Team
The People Operations team at Subsplash is all about attracting, growing, and retaining top talent. We are responsible for the entire employee experience including recruiting, HR, payroll, leadership development, office management, company culture, and corporate events. Our mission is to delight employees by demonstrating humility in support, excellence in services, and innovation in design. If you love throwing spontaneous parties or making stellar smoothies, you might be the perfect fit!
About The Role
As the Sr. Payroll Specialist, you will report to the HR Manager. You will be responsible for semi-monthly payroll processing, payroll-related payments/queries, month-end reporting, compliance with regulations and the administration of benefits. You will be one of the main points of contact for payroll and third-party benefits administrators as it relates to payroll processing, timely tax payments, and reporting.
Top 3 Key Outcomes in Year
- Payroll processing is run seamlessly without error and on schedule each payroll cycle
- Payroll system integration is fully automated and troubleshooted to understand the mapping strategy
- Ensures the integrity of payroll data, such as, compensation, benefits contributions, commission and bonus pay, and tax deductions are in compliance with federal, state, and local payroll tax regulations
- Manage workflow to ensure all full-cycle payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely
- Lead and execute the semi-monthly payroll process and any/all off-cycle payroll runs, ensure data integrity for all information between payroll and HRIS systems
- Maintain accuracy of employee payroll and benefits files
- Administer timekeeping system for all hourly employees, conducting new employee training and reviewing reporting and approval of timesheets
- Stay up-to-date with all laws and regulations regarding payroll and payroll taxes in order to maintain compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations
- Coordinate with payroll vendor to ensure the accurate and timely preparation and filing of all federal, state and local payroll tax payments and filings (941, SUI, W-2s etc)
- Calculate and prepare layoff / termination checks
- Investigates, resolves and responds to inquiries from employees and management regarding payroll in a timely manner
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- B.A. or B.S. degree preferred; focus in accounting or related field preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of payroll processing experience (multi-state payroll experience preferred)
- Strong payroll tax and compliance experience ( Strong knowledge of federal, state and union regulations)
- Ability to assist with audits, reconciliations, year-end processing, and quarterly/annual tax returns
- Intermediate to Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills, proficient with Excel
- Excellent customer service approach to handle cross-departmental interactions
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to effectively, professionally, and diplomatically interface at all levels (Peers, Managers, & Executives)
- Familiarity with payroll administration systems
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to problem-solve and use technology to improve efficiency
- Experience with Paylocity, BambooHR, or Execupay
- FPC or CPP certification preferred
- Benefits administration and open enrollment experience a plus
- Mergers and acquisitions experience a plus
- Adaptable: You embrace change, course corrections, and constructive feedback
- Efficient: You are capable of meeting deadlines while handling and prioritizing multiple tasks
- A Learner: You frequently challenge yourself to new feats, set goals, and are always looking for ways to grow and learn
- Detailed: You are highly organized and you notice how small details make a big difference, extremely organized, and the ability to manage multiple assignments successfully in a fast paced and changing environment
- Empathetic: Answering questions and helping other people gives you energy
- A Supporter: You love doing whatever it takes to help people do their best work
Generous Paid Time Off, Medical Coverage, Dental Coverage, Vision Coverage, 401k, Free Smoothies and Snacks, Optional Work-from-home Thursday’s, and a Public Transportation Subsidy.
This position is classified as full-time, exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay. Your core office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm Mon-Fri.
Note: Employment with Subsplash is contingent upon satisfactory proof of employee’s right to work in the U.S., as required by law and upon completion of a basic background check and;
Employment with Subsplash is considered “at will,” meaning that either the company or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time without cause or notice.